Did you know that your wardrobe staples, makeup and jewellery should evolve as you get older? To ensure your accessories are always complementing you, here are our top styling tips for women over 50.
Summer wardrobe staples
Completely versatile, a linen shirt is flattering, offers you great coverage while also keeping you cool in the warmer months. Whether you want to dress it up with a skirt and heels or are looking for a more casual look with jeans and sneakers, this is a must-have!
Sitting just above your knee, Bermuda shorts are the perfect length for women over 50. The polyester-cotton blends have a lovely stretch, enabling your skin to breathe. Paired with a linen shirt or classic tee, these shorts give you a neat, casual look.
Comfortable, feminine and easy to wear, summer dresses are a lovely addition to any wardrobe. Beautiful styles for women over 50 include caftans, t-shirt dresses or the classic maxi dress. Choose a dress that is versatile, allowing you to dress up or down, dependent on the occasion.
It’s important, especially as we age, to wear supportive footwear. The great news is, today there are many shoe brands embracing comfort and support, without sacrificing style. So, this summer, get into a cute, but well-made pair of supportive sandals that have a well-cushioned footbed.
Makeup: Less is more as we age
As we age, our skin gets more fine lines, texture and wrinkles, but less elasticity. When we try to cover these with too much makeup, it can actually work in reverse – exaggerating rather than hiding our age.
By scaling back on your makeup, you can accentuate your beauty as you age. Here are our top tips:
- Start with hydrated skin
- Use a good quality primer
- Apply everything in thin layers (to avoid makeup settling into fine lines and wrinkles)
- Choose a moisture-packed under-eye concealer
- Opt for liquid foundations – a slightly warmer tone than your skin
- Set with a fine powder
- Use a matte, lighter coloured eyeshadow
- Define your whole eye with a light application of eyeliner and mascara
Reassess your jewellery
Often, as we get older, we need to adjust our jewellery tastes – to ensure they continue to complement our age. Here are our jewellery tips for women over 50:
- Choose jewellery that compliments your skin tone
- Look for smaller, lighter earrings (to avoid the elongated earlobe)
- Wear necklaces that fall to the collar bone or lower (a longer necklace will draw the eye away from the jawline)
- Mix and match – this keeps your look fresh and lively
When it comes to styling for women over 50, it’s about embracing subtle changes so you can continue to complement your look as you age.