This month, we’d love to share one of our all-time favourite salad recipes. Quick and easy to throw together, it’s the perfect side dish to accompany a BBQ or roast. And you might also be lucky enough to use home-grown veggies from the community garden!
This salad does come with one warning though… be sure to dish your serving up first – as it’s that delicious, it will be devoured before you know it!
½ cup quinoa
1 continental cucumber (diced)
1 red apple (diced)
2 large handfuls baby spinach
½ red onion (thinly sliced)
2 tbsp sultanas
2 tbsp pine nuts
6 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard
½ garlic clove (grated)
- Place the quinoa in a small saucepan with 1 cup of water. Cook uncovered on medium heat until the quinoa has absorbed all the water. Remove the saucepan from heat and cover, allowing it to steam for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the cucumber, apple, baby spinach, red onion and sultanas in a salad bowl.
- Lightly roast the pine nuts in a pan over low heat (remember to turn often and keep an eye on them – they burn easily)! Set aside to cool.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well, or combine well in a mixing bowl
- Add the quinoa and dressing to salad ingredients and mix through.
- Sprinkle pine nuts on top of the salad.
- Voila! Your very yummy salad is ready to go. Enjoy!