With the weather warming up, now is the perfect time to head south, west … or why not do both? Re-connect with nature while you explore our nation’s amazing countryside. With plenty of stunning scenery, rich history and wineries to be enjoyed along the way, here are two of our ultimate Australian travel destinations!
Kangaroo Island offers the perfect getaway for when you want to take a step back, slow down and get amongst nature. Unfiltered and untamed, it is Australia’s third largest island, renowned for its stunning beaches, authentic food and drink experiences, abundant wildlife and untouched landscapes.
Whether you enjoy hiking, love to throw a line in or want to get to know our native wildlife a little better – Kangaroo Island has something for everyone. And what better way to finish your day than with a visit to the local cellar door and farm gate!
Our top spots on Kangaroo Island include:
- Penneshaw – Your first stop when you arrive on the island, explore the Maritime and Folk Museum, Hog Bay and, if you’re lucky, you’ll see some penguins!
- Pelican Lagoon – The island’s seafood capital, this is a tranquil, peaceful area with plenty of scenic hiking trails and wildlife.
- Kingscote – As the largest town on Kangaroo Island, Kingscote’s vibrant arts scene is underpinned by the area’s rich history.
- Cygnet River – Featuring beautiful walking trails and fascinating heritage sites, here is a great place to begin your cellar door experience.
To get to Kangaroo Island you can choose to catch a ferry from Adelaide or fly in direct to the airport. There are a range of accommodation options from campgrounds and hotels to apartments and luxury homes.
For more information: tourkangarooisland.com.au
Margaret River is the traditional land of the Wadana (Saltwater) People and has supported human occupation for over 60,000 years. With its natural beauty, fresh coastal air, delicious wines and abundant space, Margaret River offers a fully immersive holiday experience.
From the incredible food and wine landscape to the energetic arts scene and invigorating seaside walks, there are endless adventures to embrace in and around Margaret River. To take it to the next level, head up to the clouds for a scenic helicopter flight or make your way below the earth to discover majestic crystal caves.
With Margaret River being so well known for its wines, it would be remiss of us not to tell you about our fave wineries to visit:
- Bettenay Wines – Producing a selection of premium wines along with decadent nougat – here’ll you find a tasting experience like no other. Be sure to try their new icy cocktail, Coffee Nougaretto!
- Skigh Wines lean into music, creativity and collaboration when crafting their wines. Made organically and vegan-friendly, their wines are vibrant and well-balanced.
- Howard Park Wines, home to Howard Park, MadFish and Marchand & Burch brands, is the only winery in the region who handcraft champagne-method sparkling wine inhouse. And they have four different sparklings for you to try!
There are a range of accommodation options in Margaret River, whether you choose to make the big drive west with your caravan or fly directly into Perth. On your way there, be sure to stop in at Busselton and walk the 1.821km heritage-listed timber jetty out over the stunning Geographe Bay.
For more information: margaretriver.com